Follow Us

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

"Refacing" Fabric Storage Bins

This is something I've been doing for years! We all have them!!! Those basic fabric collapsable bins. I've always hated the way they look. They always look cheap. But for the price of 3 yards of your favorite fabric... They don't have to!!!

This is what I'd previously done. But it wasn't matching my living room anymore! Underneath they are the basic tan. 

Fold down your bin (if yours don't collapse that's ok too). Lay it face down on the underside of your fabric. And trace about 1 1/2 - 2" around the face of your bin. This will be what you fold and glue!

Once you get one done, you can cut it out and use that to trace the rest of your fabric!  

After you will need to cut out some small rectangles (for a basic bin) it's about a 5 1/4" long by 2 /4" wide. Or just lay the fabric over the handle and trace enough so you can fold and glue it underneath!

Next you need to cut out a spot for the handle. Lay your fabric on (face down) making sure your edges and over hang are even. 

Trace two vertical lines right were the handle attached to the bin. Then one horizontal line across the center. 

Cut your vertical lines. 

Then your horizontal line. This should fit right around your handle! And the first place you glue down!

This is how I glue it! First you cover your handle, I run a line of glue across both edges of the handle. Then glue it underneath.
Then for the rest I make sure to start by glueing those flaps we cut under the handle first. 

Now start glueing the edges!! I use my hot glue gun for everything!!!! Work your way around. Be carful to not pull your material too much to one side!!!!


Look at the difference!!!!

This is the finished product!!! I decided to change it up and do a different fabric on the middle bins. (They match my throw pillows) 
http://thatcraftymommyblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/easy-pocket-pillows.html

I love them!!!!....again 😁 
And I got my fabric 50% off at Joann's!!! Score!!!
 
Xoxoxo Sherri 

No comments:

Post a Comment