Follow Us

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Mini Chest of Drawers

So in my never ending quest to organize my home....my latest obsession is my half bath! I store & do my makeup there. It's also were my daughter gets ready...so hair stuff, headbands, tooth brushing.....But don't have much room for storage. And honestly I ask WAY to much of the vanity cabinet!!!!! Right now I'm using a Kaboodles! Yup! Nostalgic right? It works, but it's starting to fall part and I don't care for it. I keep it in the cabinet my Monica's closet...(you have to be a Friends fan to get that! Lol) So I came up with the Mini Chest of Drawers! And I LOVE it!!!! There's no digging for stuff and packing it back up. It's all right at my finger tips!!!! And I love the character it adds to the room!!

This build was mostly reclaimed wood that I found bundled on the side of the road!!! I wanted a rustic, imperfect look. The only part that is new wood is the drawers and shelves. 

For this project I used a hammer, nails and wood glue. No screws! I custom made this to fit my specific needs! And what I had for wood. You can take this basic idea and make yours to fit your needs! These are my dimensions! Instead of an item list I'm using the pic above, unfortunately I lost some of my pics from this project :(  But I think the diagram above is pretty self explanatory. If you have any questions please feel free to leave them in the comments!!

First I glued and nailed the top and sides!

Then I glued and nailed my shelves. (spaced out to fit the draw front measurements)


For my drawers I used 1/4" plywood, tack nails & glue.1: Nailed & glue the front to the sides. 
2: Nail & glue that piece to the draw face.
3: Nail & glue the back on.
For the bottom I just used wood glue and painters tape, let them sit overnight.

Now I didn't have enough reclaimed wood at the right sizes to do the whole project. So I had to use some new stuff. I used the same treatment as I did on my http://thatcraftymommyblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/diy-pottery-barn-mirror.html to get that faux reclaimed wood look....... Now if you don't have any reclaimed wood available you can do this treatment on the entire project! Just make sure to do it BEFORE you assemble it! then sand after to give it that worn look!

I used a semi-gloss poly all over. I used 3 coats, normally I only do 2 but I had some loose paint and really funky spots I wanted to really seal in!!!

Lastly...I found these adorable draw pulls at    They are the perfect fit! They do not come with long enough screws. (my draw faces were thick, if you use thinner wood they might work fine.) So I just found longer screws with matching threads.
 
I absolutely LOVE this project! Its definitely one of my all time favorites! And something I use every single day!


Please feel free to leave any questions in the comments! Thank you so much for stopping by!!!

                                               xoxoxo Sherri





No comments:

Post a Comment