Follow Us

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Custom Chalkboard Wall


Hello all!!!! Happy 2015! 
I don't know about you but I was ready to get the Christmas decor away and start organizing my home! I do it every year...the day after Xmas I'm rearing to go!!! I want to organize every inch of my home!  
We do not have an office space right now, and it drives me crazy. Especially with my little one in school.....school calendars, art work... I really needed to create a spot for everything that didn't look messy!!! So to Pinterest I went! And found TONS of great inspiration! I'd remembered seeing a Shanty 2 Chic post a while back where Whitney made use of a tight space by adding a framed chalkboard wall :   http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/2014/01/diy-framed-chalkboard-wall.html

This is the size & look I wanted, but I wanted more of a family command center. This is what I came up with!

                 What you will need:

                        1- 1x4x8
                        2- 1x4x6
                     Cuts: sides at 69"
                   Top & bottom at 36"
                    Chalkboard paint 
I found mine at Home Depot...but any craft store should have it! 
                           Stain 
I used Varathane wood stain in Ash, also from Home Depot. 
                      Wood screws 
               (or pocket hole screws)
                         KregJig 

First I drew up a real scale sketch right in the wall! I wanted to "see" how everything would fit! 
  It's hard to see, but it's all sketched out right on the wall. 

This is my layout! I may exchange the Pin Board for a File holder...but I just couldn't find what I was looking for. And this Pin Board from Target was way to cute!!!

I applied 3 coats of chalkboard paint.
 I used a small roller. It went on really smooth! I was pleasantly surprised with the coverage! 

When my paint was dry I seasoned my chalkboard! That's where you just rub chalk all over it and wipe it down. 

I then cut and stained my frame. My frame is 76" high by 36" wide (finished) 

I used my KregJig to assemble my frame. 

Then distressed everything! And screwed the frame right to the wall using 3" screws. 

I used these decorative nail heads to cover my screws & I just love the look!

I found ALL my goods at Target! Some in their dollar bins!

I made the little banner and glued some cute ribbon to my pencil. 

To hold my pencil I bent an old fork, screwed it to the frame and used an old style milk glass. It literally just pops in and out! 

I'm so happy with how this turned out! It made a completely unusable space and gave it a purpose! I've never known what to do with this wall. With the two doors there you really can't put anything there....so this was perfect! 

And Miss Belle is loving that she has a designated space were she CAN draw on the walls! Lol 

I hope you enjoyed this post! Feel free to leave comments or ask questions! And don't forget....this is custom - which makes it completely customizable!!! So bring some life to that unusable wall in your home! You won't regret it! 

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    We love this and we are going to make this soon for our mudroom, but how did you attach the bulldog clips to hang the calendars? Did you just use small nails? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You finished various pleasant focuses there. I did an inquiry on the issue and discovered virtually all individuals will have a similar assessment with your blog. nastrini personalizzati

    ReplyDelete