Follow Us

Monday, April 28, 2014

DIY Topiary

I got this beautiful wooden lantern as a gift from two really cool people....you know who you are! ;)  I absolutely love it! And new immediately what I wanted to do with it!!! It would make a wonderful home for a topiary!!! And I knew I was going to have to custom make one! Save $$$$!!!!

I started with picking out the right size pot and went from there! This guy was 40% off at Jo-Ann's!!! 

I filled the bottom 2" of my pot with rocks for weight. 

Next I found a foam half round like this one and hot glued it, flat side up into my pot. 

For my stem I used this old metal rod I'd saved from a broken garden flag pole!!! Up-cycle!!! Anything sturdy will do! You could you a really cheap wooden dowel from any craft or home improvement store!


Pre-drilled holes in the top and bottom of the 6", then about 1/2 way into just the bottom of the 4"-the top!

Then I put them on my "stem"....I added hot glue to the stem right below the moss ball. Then slid it over and let it dry for sec. And then repeated that step with the top. 

Now you can insert you stem into your pot. Make sure to really wedge it into the rocks underneath! And I added some hot glue. 

The next step is making your "stem" look like one!!! I just used some sticks from my yard and some floral wire!
I wrapped them together leaving about 3/8" between them....just enough so they will wrap easily around the stem. 

I used my extra wire to wrap up the twigs and just twisted it together in the back. 

I added some decorative mosses to the top of the pot...to cover the pretty foam!! 

And that's it!!!! Seems like a lot of step...but it goes together pretty fast!!! And you save a ton $$$$$

I'm loving it with my monogram-spring-wreath!!! My wreaths can be ordered in my Esty shop... https://www.etsy.com/shop/SherriSmithDesigns 

  Xoxo Sherri :)

No comments:

Post a Comment